Romain Grosjean Crash Yesterday in Bahrain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romain Grosjean Crash Yesterday in Bahrain

Was anybody else watching the F1 race yesterday from Bahrain? Wife and I were watching it live when Romain Grosjean crashed coming out of T4. It was one of those Hollywood crashes complete with a huge fireball and Grosjean climbing out of fire. It's a miracle he's alive.

Grosjean veered right to avoid a car that was coming back on track to his left, but he clipped the car behind him with his right rear tire sending him basically head on into an armco barrier. The front half of his car penetrated the horizontal armco rails and wedged itself there, the car tore in half opening up the fuel cell starting the fire. The monocoque is wedged in the armco at a weird angle and on fire with Grosjean still in it, he manages to undo his belts and climb out where the chase car medical doctor helped him get over the armco and away from the fire.

There are so many ways he could have / should have died in that crash. The HANS device saved his life by keeping him conscious and keeping his neck from breaking from the violent deceleration. The Halo saved his life by keeping the armco from decapitating him. The crash happened yards from a safety worker who had a fire hose on the fire within 10 seconds. Because it was the first lap, the chase car with medical crew was also seconds behind. He also had enough momentum that the monocoque passed through the armco because it could also have easily trapped him in the car preventing him from escaping. His only injuries were burns on his hands.

It was quite a thing, nothing you associate with F1 anymore and their usually boring races. But quite a sobering reality of what can happen.
    Motovid CR
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 (track warrior)
    2004 Ducati ST4s (road warrior)
    2009 Harley-Davidson Street Glide (Couch Potato-potato)

WOW Check him climbing out at 1:20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ7_En2xEm4

You should see me in a headsock !

Comment

Wow. Good work everyone on getting him out of there.

I think that proves the worth of the halo, though I was convinced of it already.
      Matt J., Appleton
      2015 Yamaha R3
      Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

I've had fender benders worse than that.
        2004 BMW R1100SA(street/Deer Spear)
        2008 Suzuki SV650 (track\race CCS AM#259)

Comment

Originally posted by Tammy View Post
          This makes me visualize Tammy running around in his tighty-whiteys and helmet like Will Farrell in Talladega Nights crying that he's on fire...
          Motovid CR
          2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 (track warrior)
          2004 Ducati ST4s (road warrior)
          2009 Harley-Davidson Street Glide (Couch Potato-potato)

Comment

Originally posted by Tammy View Post
            Like that time you went over the handle bars of Emily's mountain bike because she had switched the brakes. That was hilarious!
            Like me on Facebook at Yellow Duck Racing
            LB Photography, Apex Custom Coating, Track Graphix, Spears Racing

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post

This makes me visualize Tammy running around in his tighty-whiteys and helmet like Will Farrell in Talladega Nights crying that he's on fire...
              Oddly enough that's actually a Spoot moment from back in the day.

Originally posted by Capitalview View Post

Like that time you went over the handle bars of Emily's mountain bike because she had switched the brakes. That was hilarious!
              Such a dirty trick!
              2004 BMW R1100SA(street/Deer Spear)
              2008 Suzuki SV650 (track\race CCS AM#259)

Comment

Working...
              X