I tried Autocross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I tried Autocross

Nothing super interesting but I'm pretty happy with my best time of 31s flat. I was a full 2 seconds behind the swarm of Miatas in my class.

As most people have told me the bang for the buck just isn't there but it was still fun and worth the $45 to me. Next year I think I'll try a car trackday at BFR.

Also as Derek said it does look underwhelming but it's much more fun that the video makes it look.

Anyway enjoy the video!
    https://youtu.be/1J3Ft-bqSrU
    2004 BMW R1100SA(street/Deer Spear)
    2008 Suzuki SV650 (track\race CCS AM#259)

Yea, you need to do blackhawk, and allow me to rent your car out haha.
    You should see me in a headsock !

Comment

This is deserving of a ban hammer, no? lol
      Farm to Table Beef, Made Simple. Pasture Raised Beef, from our farm shipped to your door: www.scholzefamilybeef.com

Comment

Fix that poor shift in the final turn and you would've been on par with the Miatas. How many times did you get run the course?

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky5000100 View Post
          That can be arranged.....BUT and this is a big BUT.

Even I could not fit in my car with a helmet without pulling the t-tops. You'd have a crick in your neck by T3.

Edit: Looks like It'd require a roll bar if the t-tops are out. I'd be able to tolerate t-tops in for the length of sessions.

Originally posted by helmsman View Post
          This is deserving of a ban hammer, no? lol
          I'm too important to be banned.

Originally posted by derekcb View Post
          Fix that poor shift in the final turn and you would've been on par with the Miatas. How many times did you get run the course?
          I'd still probably be a full second off. It was kinda frustrating because the size and speed of the course was almost always between 1st and 2nd gear.
          Last edited by Tammy; 10-08-2020, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Did you go with MSCC? Overall, a good group of people.

Originally posted by Rocky5000100 View Post
            Yes, getting on the track with a longer course is better.

Maybe you can rent out your car every autocross session. You'll get the cost of the car back in no time and then be able to move on to all the mods you want.

Originally posted by Tammy View Post
            It was kinda frustrating because the size and speed of the course was almost always between 1st and 2nd gear.
            Road America has car track days also. I took my TT there a couple years ago and zoomed around with the mostly US big block crowd with a few Ferraris and Lambos and the sort.
            1000cc of testosterone

Comment

Originally posted by Chargers View Post
              Did you go with MSCC? Overall, a good group of people.

Yes, getting on the track with a longer course is better.

Maybe you can rent out your car every autocross session. You'll get the cost of the car back in no time and then be able to move on to all the mods you want.

Road America has car track days also. I took my TT there a couple years ago and zoomed around with the mostly US big block crowd with a few Ferraris and Lambos and the sort.
              Yeah I went with MSCC. Lol I would have to spend that rental money on regular maintenance. Still I'm planning on staying mostly stock for the MR2.

The MR2 would be about as much fun at RA as a Ninja 250.

Comment

Originally posted by Tammy View Post
                Also as Derek said it does look underwhelming but it's much more fun that the video makes it look.
                It definitely does from the outside. My wife got a Groupon for one of those exotic car driving experiences for an anniversary gift a couple years ago and I drove a McLaren MP4-12C on on autocross course for 12 laps or so. Maybe a waste of a supercar, but fun.
                Anywho, I was one of the faster drivers when I was out there, and it felt fast with little time between corners, but if you watch the video my wife took it looks like I was poking around like a grandma or something.

It's one of those things you can't appreciate as a spectator if you're not at least casually involved, because it looks like nothing.
                Matt J., Appleton
                2015 Yamaha R3
                Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Looks like fun. They run autocross all the time up here at USAIR and I was thinking of grabbing my wife's Fiesta and giving it a run. But I'd probably hand it back to her minus a bumper or something. Looks like fun there in all the videos posted.
                  John K - Appleton

Comment

I was told autocross at Road America on the cart track is insanely fun. Maybe I'll try that before a full on trackday.

Comment

I didn't even know they had autocross at the RA motorplex but I just looked up some videos, and sure enough they do. Man that that track is tight even for little bikes.

Looks big in videos though.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV4-p7OOrhs
                      John K - Appleton

Comment

Originally posted by Zaph View Post
                        Looks big in videos though.
                        [/URL]

Comment

Hahah get your mind out of the gutter.

normally looks small in videos.
                          John K - Appleton

Comment

Working...
                          X