Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harbor Freight Predator Generator Experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbor Freight Predator Generator Experience?

Anybody have experience with the Harbor Freight Predator gennie, specifically the 3500W version? I'm thinking very seriously about getting one. Consumer Reports rates them basically equal to the Honda 3000W gennie and the Predator is less than 1/2 the price of the Honda. Just looking for some first hand experience.
    Motovid CR
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 (track warrior)
    2004 Ducati ST4s (road warrior)
    2009 Harley-Davidson Street Glide (Couch Potato-potato)

I don't, but our hoof trimmer has one. I was just talking to him about it a couple days ago as I thought it looked nice as well. He is on his 3rd one in less then about 6 months (they have warrantied them everytime with no hassle, he bought the extended warranty) but yeah, has had to warranty 2 of them in 6 months. Just stopped making power he said.

I don't know how many hours he puts on them, mainly has to use it on his amish farms he trims for, as most of the rest of us have power for him. So I wouldn't think a ton of hours. He is running a small grinder, LED lights on the chute, and a small electric hydraulic pump that runs the chute. So not a massive load.
    Farm to Table Beef, Made Simple. Pasture Raised Beef, from our farm shipped to your door: www.scholzefamilybeef.com

Comment

Interesting. So the motor kept working but the generator crapped out? 3 times? Huh. I've been reading reviews and nothing like that has been reported.

We just bought a toy hauler travel trailer so was looking for something that could handle the load of the AC unit. I have a Honda EU2000 and was thinking of getting the partner unit to parallel with, but that would be a more expensive option AND I've read that one bigger gennie handles AC units better than paralleling the Hondas.
      Motovid CR

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
        We just bought a toy hauler travel trailer
        Did you just invite me to go on a trip with you?
        2004 BMW R1100SA(street/Deer Spear)
        2008 Suzuki SV650 (track\race CCS AM#259)

Comment

I have seen many of these at the track and each person I talk to say they love them.
          There is a small mod to do to help the case breath better and stop the access door from vibrating....
          but, I have no direct experience with them.

Of all the people on here...I (yes, I Spoot) did not buy Honda Gennie. I got the Briggs 2000i. It has been great, but not enough power for a travel trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
            Interesting. So the motor kept working but the generator crapped out? 3 times? Huh. I've been reading reviews and nothing like that has been reported.

We just bought a toy hauler travel trailer so was looking for something that could handle the load of the AC unit. I have a Honda EU2000 and was thinking of getting the partner unit to parallel with, but that would be a more expensive option AND I've read that one bigger gennie handles AC units better than paralleling the Hondas.
            That is my understanding that the motors were still running, at least on one of them, didn't really specifically say what the 2nd one was. Warrantied 2 times, so he is on his 3rd one now.
            Farm to Table Beef, Made Simple. Pasture Raised Beef, from our farm shipped to your door: www.scholzefamilybeef.com

Comment

The other one I'm also considering is the Champion 3400. CR ranks this one very high as well and I see it at camping stores. The Predator seems like it's hit-or-miss; you get a good one and it works and you love it, or you get a lemon (or two) and you have issues. Not sure how I feel about rolling the dice. I did see the case mod; wonder if that makes it louder?
              Motovid CR

Comment

Originally posted by Tammy View Post

Did you just invite me to go on a trip with you?
                I'm severely allergic to cats. And Tysons...
                Motovid CR

Comment

I'll bring an epipen.
                  2004 BMW R1100SA(street/Deer Spear)
                  2008 Suzuki SV650 (track\race CCS AM#259)

Comment

I have the dual Honda EU2000i setup that I use on our toy hauler. I would put the money down for the Honda. It isn't the motor I am worried about, but rather, the electronics. I trust Honda to protect the inverter in the camper better than the Harbor Freight stuff.

If you do get the Honda, get the Companion Unit. It has the 30 amp plug to hook up to the camper. You would need a plug adapter from the companion to the cord for the camper, but I just keep the adapter in the plug for the companion unit.

One warning, with the dual set up you can't run the AC and the coffee maker at the same time. Coffee makers suck a crap load of watts for power.
                    Like me on Facebook at Yellow Duck Racing
                    LB Photography, Apex Custom Coating, Track Graphix, Spears Racing

Comment

Originally posted by Capitalview View Post
                      I have the dual Honda EU2000i setup that I use on our toy hauler.
                      I was also considering this, but I read somewhere that the paralleled Honda EU2000s had problems starting an AC unit. Sounds like it works fine for you, and I certainly know you can't believe everything you read.

I'm now leaning toward the Champion 3400 dual fuel bc it is not that much more than the HF, has very few bad reviews, and can run on propane as well as gasoline. It also has a paralleling port; wonder if I can parallel the Champion with my EU2000?
                      Motovid CR

Comment

The size of the AC may cause problems with the dual 2000 set up. Check the startup wattage of your AC unit to see what you will need.

We have a single 15,000 btu unit but I can't remember the startup wattage.

To parallel the Honda you need the same wattage units. At least that is what Honda says.
                        Like me on Facebook at Yellow Duck Racing
                        LB Photography, Apex Custom Coating, Track Graphix, Spears Racing

Comment

I got the Champion 3500W dual fuel gennie this weekend at Cabelas. Both Camping World and Cabelas carry the 3500W version (as opposed to the 3400W most others carry), and it was $150 less at Cabelas than CW. Haven't opened it up yet, but everything I read about seems promising. Just felt like too much of a crap-shoot going with the Predator. We'll see.
                          Motovid CR

Comment

Working...
                          X