Smoked Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Bike

So odd question that I doubt anyone has personally dealt with, but curious on opinions. I found an auction for several Honda bikes that were at an dealer that had a fire. The bikes are listed as smoke and water damage from firefighters. How much actual trouble do you think one of these bikes would cause? I have a long reputation of not caring about how my bikes looks, and thats true. But want to know about the mechanics. The bikes clearly didn't get very hot, as nothing appears melted or warped. I assume it doesn't take that much heat to melt a seat for instance. No appearance of that. My gut says if nothing on the outside is warped, underneath the plastics the wiring and electronics should be fine....right? Pressure wash them, change fluids...see what happens? Speaking of that, we pressure wash bikes, so how much can a firefighter hosing a bike down do more damage?

It will probably smell like smoke, but would they be ok?

Auction has 2 CRF450L's, 2 Africa Twins, 2 Goldwings, Grom, the naked honda sportbike, couple others.

https://www.ironplanet.com/for-sale/...rm=&pnLink=yes
    Farm to Table Beef, Made Simple. Pasture Raised Beef, from our farm shipped to your door: www.scholzefamilybeef.com

I bet that bike starts as soon as you put gas in it and turn the key. I'd say if you can get a CRF450L for 3K or less, go for it, put a little elbow grease into cleaning it up and you're good.
    John K - Appleton

Comment

I would have it inspected if possible. My concern is the chemicals used in fire fighting getting into the engine. That stuff is nasty. Remember, it isn't just straight water they use anymore.
      Like me on Facebook at Yellow Duck Racing
      LB Photography, Apex Custom Coating, Track Graphix, Spears Racing

Comment

Must be something in bigger cities. Around here they just pump creek water. Know several guys on FD's.

Yeah i would like to get it inspected, ideally by myself. But google says it is a 21 hour drive, lol!
        Farm to Table Beef, Made Simple. Pasture Raised Beef, from our farm shipped to your door: www.scholzefamilybeef.com

Comment

It depends on the type of fire, but have you ever tried to put rubber out with just water? If there were vehicles burning, and hence, oil and rubber, just water won't handle it.

Comment

I haven't. Around here if a tire happens to 'accidentally' catch on fire, we aren't trying to put it out.....

Comment

Capitolview's thoughts aside (I would have never thought of firefighting chemicals), if they just got smokey and were sprayed down with water, I can't see how that would cause much if any damage to the working parts of the bikes. Like you said, we wash them all the time and they are designed for that. I would think the biggest concern for these bikes would be appearance, so if that's a "don't care" for you, these may be a really good deal.
              Motovid CR
              2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 (track warrior)
              2004 Ducati ST4s (road warrior)
              2009 Harley-Davidson Street Glide (Couch Potato-potato)

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
                Capitolview's thoughts aside (I would have never thought of firefighting chemicals), if they just got smokey and were sprayed down with water, I can't see how that would cause much if any damage to the working parts of the bikes. Like you said, we wash them all the time and they are designed for that. I would think the biggest concern for these bikes would be appearance, so if that's a "don't care" for you, these may be a really good deal.
                If you have ever seen any of my bikes you would know i truly don't care about how they look. In fact, i sort of enjoy them being on the ratty side more so then the perfectly polished looking!

Yeah i hadn't thought of the chemical thing either. I don't know how widespread that is in structure fires, I really don't. Like i said, around here we have nothing but volunteer fire departments, and they are literally tankering in creek water from the nearest stream on any fire.

Comment

There's plenty of stuff in dealerships that plain water isn't great for, but I dunno how FD approach putting them out or containing them. I just know you'll need almost every different type of fire extinguisher!
                  Matt J., Appleton
                  2015 Yamaha R3
                  Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

I am just speaking from experience when dealing with vehicle fires. A foaming agent is added to the water used to put the fire out instead of just pure water. It may not have happened in this situation, but it is something to be aware of.

Comment

It's a roll of the dice, either they'll be great or a can of worms.

Comment

bikes in canada? you would have import fees and it needs to have epa cert for the US, otherwise it has to be claimed for non-road use only...then the title is tagged for that.

Comment

Are the Canadian bikes different as far as EPA is concerned? Yes i know about import fees. I also have a couple of good friends who i trust in canada. They are still a little far away, but bet they would go pick it up and help with shipping.

Even if it ends up being non-road use only...if i got one cheap enough, i wouldn't care. Mainly a bombing around the farm bike. Which is technically all ATV trails so doesn't need to be street legal. I also have forgotten to renew the registration on my KLX for about 6 years....so not to terribly worried about a plate.

Comment

iirc, it is a different stamp for US epa.
                            It might need to classified as 'race-only'? maybe it was off-road-use...something like that.

edit: here ya go
                            https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...cimports_0.pdf

Comment

SO basically it has to have it from the factory or no-go. Wonder how you find that answer. Or I just run strait outlaw, lol. It may be registered as a Red KLX, lol

Comment

Working...
                              X