Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MA Twins Cup woes

https://motoamerica.com/the-twins-cup-conundrum/

Sounds like Twins Cup is feeling the pinch/growing pains. Still plenty of riders but like the article says costs are really spiking, might see even fewer full-time teams in future if they don't figure something out.

Or it stays builder heavy, like a Euro road race Supertwins deal.
    Matt J., Appleton
    2015 Yamaha R3
    Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Engine modification limits to reduce blown engines and trans seems to be the most logical option. They should be running nearly stock engines, IMO. 70 hp twins.
    You should see me in a headsock !

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky5000100 View Post
      Engine modification limits to reduce blown engines and trans seems to be the most logical option. They should be running nearly stock engines, IMO. 70 hp twins.
      It's in a weird spot right now. It's supposed to showcase local/regional club racers so you can't restrict more than that I reckon. I don't really know how all of the various club levels classify bikes of this type. There are quite a few upcoming riders in the class now, but outside the top 10 or so, it's not many full time.

I definitely think they need limits. Even in a normal year, it's not good to have your most steadfast riders/teams sitting out because of busted machines. But I think as part of that, they're going to need to decide what they want the class to be, and stick to it.
      Matt J., Appleton
      2015 Yamaha R3
      Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

I wonder what they were expecting to happen when they allow everybody to build grenades. (especially those damn pos Yamahas)

2004 BMW R1100SA(street/Deer Spear)
        2008 Suzuki SV650 (track\race CCS AM#259)

Comment

Unfortunately the 650 Twins class from a production perspective isn't creating race spec machines anymore. Well, except for maybe Aprilia with the new RS 660. Which, at a speculated 100hp, outclasses everything and appears to be much more "race" ready.

I kind of like the builder concept of the MA series. Are there dangers of people out-spending the competition. Of course, it's racing. But it also keeps the class interesting. We're not talking about Superbike dollars. It also has the potential to open opportunities for more small businesses supplying parts, mods, etc. around their choice of platform. Like these guys: https://www.robemengineering.com/.

edit:
          I just read the article, LOL. It's interesting to note that with that many DNFs and no-shows due to a higher state of tune and unavailability of spare parts, it's hard to win championships. First you need to finish, right? Maybe the problem sorts itself out.

Comment

Yeah, and I don't think it was in the article but I recall seeing discussion about the Aprilia on social media somewhere and how it relates to the class. It's clearly better than the rest of the field (well, supposedly, but no reason to doubt it), but how common will it really be if racers know it's going to get hit with the nerf bat right away? Dunno. Guess it really depends on cost and availability.

As for the business side, that's what AP Moto Arts was in for. IIRC they were the first to build an FZ-07R a few years back. Now they're blowing bikes up! Not all bad, maybe they just need to figure out where the limit on engine/transmission is and pull back from that a little bit.

One of the things with this is being so open, but there's also nothing else they're piggybacking or sharing data with. At least with Junior Cup, Supersport, Superbike, and Stock 1000 they can look at WSBK for limits/allowances.
            Matt J., Appleton
            2015 Yamaha R3
            Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Working...
            X