Advanced Basics 301

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced Basics 301

So I feel like I'm pretty solidly in the middle of the green group in Motovid.
    I run 1:22's at Blackhawk and 2:47s at RA on the big 'ol VFR.

I was thinking of signing up for a 301 class next year on May 5. I've never done any of the classes before. Do you think 301 would be too much since I've never taken the 101 or 201 performance clinics before?

Has anyone here taken the 301 class, was it worthwhile?
    1 3 5
    2 4 R

I think derekcb and his friend Dave did it last year. Hopefully they post up.
    2004 BMW R1100SA(street/Deer Spear)
    2008 Suzuki SV650 (track\race CCS AM#259)

Comment

I did do it last year. Was it worthwhile? It really depends on what your goals are. For me, it was a good refresher, and it was worthwhile.

The morning sessions are mostly focused on drills similar to the 101 and 201 (e.g., no brake drill, one-hand drill, left-center-right, etc.). The later sessions you start to break down the track into sections and focus on those sections for an entire session (e.g., breaking markers, corner entry, apex, proper line, exit, and linking consecutive turns for better line/flow. The mantra for the day was 70%, so don't expect to break sub 1:20s during the day. I don't think I logged a lap much faster than a 1:23 - most were likely in the 1:24+ range. You're focusing on skill development.

The sessions are lead/follow within your group (coach plus 2-3 riders). You'll get feedback from your coach following each session on track. You're in class between track sessions. It's a pretty full day - no real downtime except lunch. There was some disparity of pace on track between groups. They do try to put together groups of similar pace. Interestingly, I thought I was going to be the slowest rider out there (my best pace at that time was a 1:22 - and averaging around a 1:24 depending on traffic in Green Group). It seemed everyone else's pace was sub-1:20s. It all got sorted on track and I wasn't a rolling roadblock. Point being, be honest with yourself on your average times when they assign the groups - you'll have a better experience because of it.

My coach for the day was Borgnsr (on this forum). He was great! He posted some video of our last session of the day. I'm on the red RC51. You can see I was having some issues exiting 6a.

Here's the same session from my perspective.

If you want more info or want to chat just PM me.

Comment

Thanks for the info Derek. I think I'll sign up. Sounds like it would be worthwhile.
        1 3 5
        2 4 R

Comment

Originally posted by derekcb View Post

My coach for the day was Borgnsr (on this forum)
          I hear that guy is really slow and unskilled.
          2004 BMW R1100SA(street/Deer Spear)
          2008 Suzuki SV650 (track\race CCS AM#259)

Comment

I took the 301 class this spring, got it for free upgrade with covid.

The drills are fun and have to be done slow to get the full effect, they are eye openers and get your mindworking.

As for the afternoon sessions, Jason Farallel came in and broke down the track into sections between our sessions. I talked to everyone in the class including the coaches input.

I worked with Zac Schumacher, he was fantastic and has talked with me at every TD since then. Something clicked after that clinic and I had my best year of TDs hands down this summer.

I suggest it if you're in a rut and need change, ready to progress to a faster group and experienced enough to be comfortable with the one hand drill, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X