Road America Supermoto Club Race Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road America Supermoto Club Race Series

Last weekend they had Supermoto Club Race #1 and the turnout was huge. 87 entries across 50 racers. I think this series is going to make it!

So, a Z125 can race in the Adult Mini Light class, which is up to 149 cc air cooled. It's not really a competitive bike in that class but the track is tight enough that time is really just lost on 2 small straights. Ryan Nolan 411 raced his Z125 and did well for the bike he was on. If I got in I'm pretty sure I wouldn't come in last either so I might give it a shot next time. After all there was a guy racing in dual sport tires, hahah.

There had some kids getting in races on Ohvale bikes. Holy freakin crap. Little 7 year old dudes getting their elbows down and sliding both wheels. THAT was awesome to see.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/motorplex

John K - Appleton

I see Nick Uselmann also raced, he rides with us in SV650 classes. He took first in the light race. Here is his footage from adult mini heavy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbPg4VREU6A&t=0s

Looks fun. What are entry costs? Seems like a cheap way to get in some racing, with slightly lower risk.
    You should see me in a headsock !

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky5000100 View Post

Looks fun. What are entry costs? Seems like a cheap way to get in some racing, with slightly lower risk.
      I follow Nick on Instagram but have never managed to stop by and say hello.

IIRC, Races were $50 for each class you entered. That counted for 2 races and the practice session(s). This particular day they wound up way behind schedule so Race 2 for each class was cut short. Normal time was 12 minutes plus one lap, race 2 was 6 minutes plus one lap. I don't know yet what all the class requirements are. Seems pretty straightforward for the mini classes, but Supermoto also has age groups! (Pro, Amateur, Beginner, Sportsman (34 and under), Veteran (35+). The fastest guys out there that day were in both Pro and Veteran, and apparently they'd be in the 50+ class, if there was one.

There wasn't a gate fee for this one, which was pretty nice. So if you have someone coming to help or watch, it was only an extra $5 for them. I don't know if that will hold for all of them, I think it depends on what events are happening at the main track.

The goal is to turn it into a club, kinda like their Karting club, so you pay your membership fee, but then race entry is reduced, same with normal kart track days. They're still testing the waters for all that though.

Not for this one but normally the Supermoto layout includes a dirt section. The minis don't run that part, and this time they ran something different, a little more like one of the kart layouts, a little more flowing. It's the layout they'll be running on the Ohvales for the MA mini cup this weekend. Not sure if they'll keep that moving forward or change it up, but it looked pretty cool. Has a section almost like a corkscrew.
      Matt J., Appleton
      2015 Yamaha R3
      Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

So what sort of mini would i want for the lowest class instead of a Z125?

Comment

Benelli TT135 ?
          Kymco ?
          Last edited by Spoot; 06-25-2020, 07:22 PM.

Comment

https://wiriders.com/forum/forum/gen...-bitters-125-s

Comment

Kayo MR150
              Like me on Facebook at Yellow Duck Racing
              LB Photography, Apex Custom Coating, Track Graphix, Spears Racing

Comment

HA, that Kayo is tiny. I'd have to try sitting on one, but I don't think it'll end well. I'd probably be better off on a more open z125 or other fairing-less one

Comment

So what sort of mini would i want for the lowest class instead of a Z125?
                  There were 2 Mini classes, Light and Heavy. The list below was updated right before the event so this may vary. I think the

Light:
                  2 stroke up to 65cc
                  4 Stroke up to 145cc

Heavy:
                  2 stroke up to 105cc
                  4 Stroke, Liquid Cooled up to 150cc
                  4 Stroke, Air Cooled up to 230cc

I don't know why 4 Stroke Liquid cooled is listed as only 5cc higher for heavy than you can run in light. I can ask, P501 Suspension was helping organise/promote the event. A lot of what I saw out there were pit bikes of one type or another, but there were bikes like CRF150s and such as well, for more of a full size, small engine entry. Maybe next time I'll take notes and pit pictures!

Oh, and I had the cost slightly wrong, it was $50 first class you enter, $25 for each additional class. The Saturday beforehand was a test/tune day, basically normal kart track open day but I'm not sure how many karts showed up. That was $50 non-members, $30 for Karting Klub members. Which I *think* is what they're trying to extend to bikes as well.

Matt J., Appleton
                  2015 Yamaha R3
                  Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

HA, that Kayo is tiny. I'd have to try sitting on one, but I don't think it'll end well. I'd probably be better off on a more open z125 or other fairing-less one
                    If you think the Kayo is tiny wait until you see an Ohvale in person. It has 10" wheels. But I think the Ohvale is a higher performance machine. I could not believe how fast those things were. They were just weaving around other slow traffic. But as far as small bikes that are pretty spacious, the Z125 is good. It's actually got a tall seat height. The wheels are mini but the seating position isn't.
                    John K - Appleton

Comment

Anyone planning to run this weekend? I'll have the Z out again.
                      Expert #411.
                      Sponsors: Scorpion USA, Vortex Racing, HifloFiltro, GoPro, M4, RockTape, Forcefield Armour

Comment

I wanted to hit this one, maybe even enter but I have a surgery the weekend after that and I have to steer clear of events and such.

Matt J., Appleton
                        2015 Yamaha R3
                        Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Working...
                        X