Oil filter with nut ban?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil filter with nut ban?

Trying to get to a track day this year. I was planning on doing RA yesterday or today but didn't get my parts in time. Is there still a ban on the oil filters with nuts? I got some Hi Flos and didn't realize they had the nuts on them.

Probably just K&N's. They arent allowed in ccs. Oem and a hose clamp.
    Wait a minute. Look at those shifty eyes. That devious half-smile. Those kazoo-kissed lips.

CCS # 14 EX
    ASRA # 141 EX
    RP Motorsports, Suomy Helmets

Comment

OK, I have to ask. Why does CCS ban K&N oil filters?
      Motovid CR
      2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 (track warrior)
      2004 Ducati ST4s (road warrior)
      2009 Harley-Davidson Street Glide (Couch Potato-potato)

Comment

I don't think it's a ban on oil filters with nuts per se, but you can't safety wire from that nut. You need to use a clamp and wire. I could be totally wrong though. I always buy the cheap Fram PH6018 and use a clamp.

I think K&N had a recall a few years ago, or something about too few threads.
        You should see me in a headsock !

Comment

K&N's are known to blow the o-ring out. Last year at RA someone had one let go in Advanced. Sam has video down the back stretch before Canada corner showing his TC going bazerker, scary shit for the 1000 guyz.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky5000100 View Post
            I don't think it's a ban on oil filters with nuts per se, but you can't safety wire from that nut.
            OK, why not? What's wrong with this nut?
            Motovid CR

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post

OK, why not? What's wrong with this nut?
              I have heard of cracks near the nut. The K&N site has a recall on some of the filters. The issue is that the weld around the nut has failed causing oil to leak. The nut is apparently only designed for removal of the oil filter, not installation. The cracks may be linked to people over-torquing the filter during installation using the nut. Many track day orgs have banned their use. I think even Farrell had a post where he had one let go on a customer bike while on the dyno - sent oil everywhere.

Comment

Not just the nut on them that failed, they let go at the seam on the base. EMGO was banned a while ago also and may still be. Filter case was splitting under the oil pressure.

Quite honestly I don't understand why ANYONE would think of using K&N on anything. You should see the engine damage done from their pathetic air filters. Reason they flow more air is the openings in the filter is LARGER than the OEM style filters.
                Wait a minute. Look at those shifty eyes. That devious half-smile. Those kazoo-kissed lips.

CCS # 14 EX
                ASRA # 141 EX
                RP Motorsports, Suomy Helmets

Comment

Interesting. Thanks for the info guys.
                  Motovid CR

Comment

Working...
                  X